Circuit Mission Plan
“The calling of the Glossop and Tameside Methodist Circuit is to respond to the gospel of God’s love in Christ and live out its discipleship in worship and mission.
Our commitment to Jesus Christ leads us to nurture living growing communities seeking to be a pilgrim people serving others in our discipleship.”
From whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.
1. We seek to be churches which embody Kingdom values: open and intentionally inclusive, building bridges across age, gender, race and culture, celebrating diversity. Having tangible signs of grace: forgiveness, joy and costly love. These are the heart of what we are about.
2. We seek to encourage God centred worship: discovering ways to worship that are meaningful and accessible, responding to needs and opportunitied, building on tradition and allowing new patterns to emerge and grow.
3. We seek to have a meaningful prescence in the community: valuing partnerships, looking to be church beyond the building, listening and responding to local needs as appropriate, having a voice in the community, celebrating and developing networks that enhance our church and our mission.
4. We seek to value out place in the world wide community: recognising the universal nature of the Gospel, recognising that world issues are part of our faith, acknowledging that we have much to recieve and learn as well as to give.
5. We seek to promote and act on issues of socail justice and the environment: recognising that social justice is at the heart of Methodist tradition we will work with organisations and others that promote social justice. We will face up to the challenge of climate change.
6. We seek to encourage growth in our discipleship and spirituality: valuing creative ways, encouraging a faith linked to daily life in word and action, providing safe groups where the bible is explored in an open, accepting and dynamic way.
7. We seek to discover relevant means of evangelism: recognising a wide understanding that is at the heart of a living faith community. We will look for new ways to share the gospel, exploring how this can be done in a digital society, working across church boundaries, learning different approaches to evangelism. We will be willing to take risks.
8. We seek to use our people, buidlings and finances effectively; recognising the precious and unique gifts of each person, encouraging callings and using gifts to the fullest potential. We will aim to release people from the burden of goverance and property maintenance. We will look at our buildings and finance asking whether they are fit for the purposes of our mission and outreach.
9. We seek to be practical and realistic; acknowledging that churches are often fragile, resources are stretched, and people tire. We will set realistic goals that are specific and manageable. We accept that we may have to prioritise. We shall adopt longer term plans but be ready to respond to the present.
10. We seek to underpin what we do; and what we are about by regular prayer and commitment to care and watch over each other in love. We will walk closely and put our trust and faith in God.